Associate Professor of Old Testament and Biblical Theology
Ezra 7:9b–10 – “The good hand of his God was upon him, because Ezra set his heart to study and to practice the Torah of Yahweh and to teach both statute and rule in Israel.”
Jason DeRouchie came to Bethlehem College & Seminary in 2009 with a passion to exalt Christ through whole-Bible theology and to help train the next generation of church leaders how to faithfully interpret and appropriate their Hebrew Old Testaments. Before coming to the Bethlehem College & Seminary, DeRouchie served as an instructor of biblical Greek and Hebrew at Gordon College and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (1997–2000), as an associate pastor in a Southern Baptist church in Indiana (2001–2005), and as Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew at Northwestern College in Saint Paul, MN (2005–2009). As a specialist in God’s Word, he seeks to approach all of his teaching and scholarship as worship, borrowing Ezra’s resolve (Ezra 7:10 — study > practice > teach) in his approach to academic ministry.
Dr. DeRouchie and his wife Teresa have been married since 1994, and God has blessed them with six children—Mary Jane, Ruth, Isaac, Ezra, Joseph, and Sarah Joy. As a family, they love academic ministry and are delighted to be a part of the Bethlehem College & Seminary community. They are also active in Bethlehem Baptist Church, where DeRouchie has taught adult Sunday School since 2006. The family enjoys camping, hiking, canoeing, and moose-watching, and their favorite place to get away is the north shore of Lake Superior.
- B.A., Taylor University
- M.Div., Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Additional Studies: Harvard Divinity School, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Jerusalem University College
Areas of Specialization
Deuteronomy, Old Testament biblical theology, Hebrew language, and Old Testament discourse analysis.
Other Ministry Experience
- Adult Sunday School teacher, Bethlehem Baptist Church (2006–present)
- Editorial board member for Zondervan’s new Hearing the Message of Scripture Old Testament commentary series (2006–present)
- Steering committee chair of the Evangelical Theological Society’s “Hebrew Language and Exegesis Consultation” (2009–2011)
- Steering committee member of the Evangelical Theological Society’s “Discourse Grammar and Biblical Exegesis Consultation” (2007–2008)
- Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew, Northwestern College, St. Paul, MN (2005–2009)
- Associate Pastor for Adult Discipleship, Oak Park Baptist Church, Jeffersonville, IN (2001–2005)
- Adjunct teaching of Hebrew and Greek at Gordon College and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (1997–2000)
Present Book Projects
- KINGDOM: The Story of God's Glory in Christ.
- Writing commentaries on Zephaniah, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy.
For more from DeRouchie, including books, articles, and audio materials, see www.derouchie-meyer.org .
For Our Good Always: Studies on the Message and Influence of Deuteronomy in Honor of Daniel I Block, co-edited with Kenneth J. Turner and Jason Gile (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2013). Online .
A Modern Grammar for Biblical Hebrew: Workbook, with Duane A. Garrett (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2009). Online.
A Call to Covenant Love: Text Grammar and Literary Structure in Deuteronomy 5–11, GD30/BS2 (Piscataway, NJ: Gorgias, 2007). Online.
Articles and Essays
“From Condemnation to Righteousness: A Christian Reading of Deuteronomy,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 18.3 (fall, 2014): 87–118. (PDF)
In For Our Good Always: “Counting the Ten: An Investigation into the Number of the Decalogue” (93–126); “Making the Ten Count: Reflections on the Lasting Message of the Decalogue” (415–40).
In What the Old Testament Authors Really Cared About: "Jesus’ Bible: An Overview" (26–54); "The Old Covenant Established: What the Law Is Really About" (55–59); "Leviticus" (coauthored with D. Jeffrey Mooney, 102–21); "Deuteronomy" (140–62); "The Old Covenant Enforced: What the Prophets Are Really About" (163–71); "1–2 Kings" (coauthored with Donald Fowler, 218–37); "The Old Covenant Enjoyed: What the Writings Are Really About" (319–25); "Ruth" (coauthored with Chris A. Miller, 326–35); "Ezra-Nehemiah" (coauthored with Daryl Aaron, 428–41); "The KINGDOM Bible Reading Plan" (471–76).
"The Blessing-Commision, the Promised Offspring, and the Toledot Structure of Genesis," Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 56.2 (2013): 219–47. (PDF)
“The Profit of Employing the Biblical Languages: Scriptural and Historical Reflections,” Themelios 37.1 (2012): 32–50. (PDF)
“Shepherding Wind and One Wise Shepherd: Grasping for Breath in Ecclesiastes,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 15.3 (2011): 4–25. (PDF)
“Christ or Family as the ‘Seed’ of Promise? An Evaluation of N. T. Wright on Galatians 3:16,” with Jason C. Meyer, The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14.3 (2010): 36–48. (PDF)
“Deuteronomy as Didactic Poetry? A Critique of D. L. Christensen’s View,” Journal of Asia Adventist Seminary 10.1 (2007): 1–13. (PDF)
Nine brief articles in The Archaeological Study Bible, ed. Walter C. Kaiser Jr. and Duane A. Garrett (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006): “Circumcision in the Ancient World”; “Ecclesiastes and the Epic of Gilgamesh”; “Haran”; “Mitanni”; “Oracles of the Ancient World”; “Samuel and Saul”; “Texts of the Old Testament”; “Textual Criticism”; “The Ancient Translations.” Online.
“Circumcision in the Hebrew Bible and Targums: Theology, Rhetoric, and the Handling of Metaphor,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 14.2 (2004): 175–203. (PDF)
“A Life Centered on Torah.” An exegetical insight from Ezra 7:10 in Basics of Biblical Hebrew: Grammar, by Gary D. Pratico and Miles V. Van Pelt, 248–49 (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2001). (PDF)
Review of Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants by Peter J. Gentry and Stephen J. Wellum, Bulletin for Biblical Research 23.1 (2013): 110–13. (PDF)
Review of These Are the Generations: Identity, Covenant, and the 'Toledot' Formula by Matthew A. Thomas, Bulletin for Biblical Research 22.3 (2012): 412–15. (PDF)
Review of A Reader’s Hebrew and Greek Bible by A. Philip Brown II, Bryan W. Smith, Richard J. Goodrich, and Albert L. Lukaszewski, The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14.2 (2010): 91–92. (PDF)
Review of Markedness in Canaanite and Hebrew Verbs by P. D. Korchin, Catholic Biblical Quarterly 72 (2010): 115–116. (PDF)
Review of Invitation to the Septuagint, by Karen Jobes and Moises Silva, Trinity Journal 23.2 (2002): 257–60. (PDF)
- (PDF | MP3) "A Gospel Charge with the Aim of Love: An Ordination Sermon from 1 Timothy 1:3–7." This sermon was given at the ordination service of Pastor Brett Toney on June 23, 2013, at Five Points Community Church in Auburn Hills, MI.
- The KINGDOM Bible Reading Plan. (PDF).
- (PDF | MP3) “The Open Statement of the Truth: A Sermon from 2 Corinthians 4:2 on Ministry of the Word in a Secular Context” (March 1, 2012). This sermon was given in Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “Yahweh Our Guardian––Our Help: A Sermon on Psalm 121” (September 29, 2011). This sermon was given in Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “The God Who Does Not Wipe Out Rebels: A Sermon on How Genesis 1–3 Gives Hope to Sinners” (September 9, 2010). This sermon was given in Bethlehem College & Seminary Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “Context for Loving Yahweh Our One God: A Sermon on Deuteronomy 6:6-9” (March 18, 2010). This sermon was preached at the Northwestern College Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “Love Yahweh with All: A Sermon on Deuteronomy 6:5” (March 17, 2010). This sermon was preached at the Northwestern College Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “Yahweh our God, Yahweh is One: A Sermon on Deuteronomy 6:4” (March 16, 2010). This sermon was preached at the Northwestern College Chapel.
- (PDF | MP3) “Biblical and Historical Perspectives on Why We Still Need the Biblical Languages” (November 16, 2009). This lecture was given at Bethlehem College & Seminary in advance of the 2009 Evangelical Theological Society Annual meetings.
- Read Dr. DeRouchie’s graduation address given at Northwestern College on May 16, 2009.
- Read or listen to Dr. DeRouchie’s sermon given Bethlehem Baptist Church on March 21-22, 2009. Read the follow-up article.
- (PDF | MP3) “Yahweh is Your Keeper: A Sermon on Psalm 121” (November 30, 2006). This sermon was preached at the Northwestern College Chapel.