As announced on the Bethlehem Baptist Church and Desiring God websites today, BCS Assistant Professor of New Testament Dr. Jason Meyer has been named as the candidate to replace John Piper as Bethlehem Baptist Church’s Pastor for Preaching & Vision. Of course, we at Bethlehem College and Seminary are excited for Dr. Meyer and his family and we are prayerful for the congregation of Bethlehem Baptist Church to vote wisely on his candidacy. You can read more about Bethlehem Baptist Church’s transition or read Pastor John’s letter to the congregation regarding this “Antioch Moment.”
Dr. Meyer has served BCS by teaching courses on New Testament exegesis, biblical ethics, and the history of redemption. You can read his full bio on our site. You can also listen to a few of Dr. Meyer’s sermons and hear him talk about the importance of the model for Christian higher education that Bethlehem College and Seminary represents:
- Jason Meyer: Why I Love Bethlehem College and Seminary
- BCS Chapel Sermon: “Love”
- BBC Sermon: “Putting the Word to Work Through Prayer” (2 Timothy 3:14–17)
- BBC Sermon: “The Heart of Christmas” (Matthew 2:1–12)
- 2012 Fighter Verse Kick-Off message: “The Power of God’s Word”
UPDATE: As stated in BBC’s February 26 post timeline, pending a positive Elder Council vote on March 27, the timeline would continue. Below is a schedule for the process going forward—updated and with appropriate links.
- Wed, Mar 28: Church-wide introduction to Jason Meyer and communication of the ensuing process for his candidacy for Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision and job description(s) for this role, along with supporting documents, including his Curriculum Vitae, advocacy papers, and guidelines for submitting input.
- Sat, Mar 31: Q & A With the Lead Pastors
- Thur, Apr 5: “First Thursday” Elder Prayer gathering; early morning prayer (for laity)
- Thur, Apr 19: All-church Q & A Video posted: “Pastor Sam Crabtree Interviews Jason Meyer”
- Apr 29: Jason Meyer preaches live South (Open forum with Jason during 11am hour)
- Sun, Apr 29: Quarterly Strategy Meeting
- Thur, May 3: "First Thursday" Elder Prayer gathering; early morning prayer (for laity)
- May 5/6: Jason Meyer preaches live Downtown (Open Forum with Jason on May 5, 7:30pm, following Saturday service)
- May 12: Jason Meyer holds (live) Open Forum North at 7:30pm (following the Downtown live sermon)
- May 13: Jason Meyer preaches live North
- Tue, May 15: Elders review congregational input. Last formal action in the process before the congregational vote.
- Sun, May 20: Congregational vote (to call Jason Meyer to join Bethlehem's pastoral staff and begin partnering with Pastor John as an associate pastor during the transition process)
- Mon, May 21: Issue letter of call (pending vote)
- Late May: Reply from Jason Meyer; positive reply will set in motion an overlap process (i.e., Pastor John’s ministry at Bethlehem continues throughout the transition process).
- Wed, Aug 1: (Pastor) Jason Meyer officially begins his role as Associate Pastor for Preaching & Vision (pending positive May 20 congregational vote).